It’s been a while since I wrote anything political. I took a long break just to keep my sanity and used my time to study things that interest me more – ancient civilizations and fantasy novels. But with 2019 in the rearview mirror, I thought now would be a good time to review some of the lowlights and highlights of the 2019 news cycle.
2019 was full of corruption, lies, collusion with foreign governments for political opposition research, political chicanery, and actions that threaten our very democracy.
Speaking of the Democrats, they used their power in the House of Representatives to impeach President Donald Trump. Or did they? Did Nancy Pelosi ever file the paperwork or send it to the Senate? I don’t even know. Who cares?
The Left – and this includes the Main Stream Media – promised they would “Impeach the M*****f****r” back when he was inaugurated. It could be the first time in three years Democrats have actually told the truth. But in the end, they had to dig deep for the worst possible interpretation of a phone call for something that never actually occurred: a quid pro quo demanded by President Trump to the president of Ukraine, withholding aid in exchange for information to use against Joe Biden, who ironically bragged of withholding aid to Ukraine unless they fire a special prosecutor investigating how Biden managed to get his son a multi-million dollar job with a Ukrainian energy company with exactly no experience.
In other words, even if Trump is guilty as sin for a quid pro quo which he never actually enforced – Ukraine got their aid money in full – it looks like an egregious case of the Pot calling the Kettle “black”.
The Mueller Report
“Russian Collusion” were the buzzwords of the last two years. In their never-ending quest to overturn the 2016 election results, Democrats promised us the Mueller Report would show, categorically, that Donald Trump stole the election with the aid of our sworn enemy, Russia.
While the mid-April report turned out to be a big fat nothingburger, and Robert Mueller stumbled through what had to have been the most awkward set of hearings ever, we did learn that the Steele Dossier used to spy on the Trump campaign was funded by none other than Hillary Clinton.
The media used terms like “collusion” and “whistleblower” to scare us into thinking something really bad had taken place; but in the end it was sound and fury, signifying nothing.
There IS a Cold Civil War in Our Country
If after 2019 you still doubt that the Left’s and Right’s visions of our country and our future are diametrically opposed, then no evidence will convince you. Nonetheless, there are still many Neville Chamberlains out there – all with good intentions – calling for just one more peace talk, ready to waive that little piece of paper and proclaim “Peace in our time!”
The Left believes that a three-year-old should be allowed to choose his/her gender, they believe that a baby who is actually born should be killed at the discretion of the mother and “professionals”, they believe that any business that supports biblical values should be shut down. How is there any middle ground in this?
The Left’s philosophies are devoid of all wisdom. This is to say, they do not fear the Lord and their policies reflect that. While the Right has strong opinions about values and beliefs, the Right also believes in the liberty of thought. The Left does not.
The Cries of “Tribalism!”
Tribalism became a buzzword in 2019. There are still people who believe that you can stop a donkey kicking you by just asking it very nicely not to.
The most frustrating element of 2019 wasn’t the Left. It was members of the evangelical community who shook their head and claimed that both sides of the political aisle were engaged in “tribalism”, as though there was some moral equivalence between truth and error. When presented with a clear lie and a clear truth, then yes, it’s okay to be partisan towards the truth.
It seems many in the evangelical world have forgotten the Eighth Commandment: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.” Is it “tribal” to defend a president against unfounded and vicious attacks? I would rather think it our Christian prerogative to do so. But many seem to think that because President Trump does not have a good moral reputation, that it’s okay to believe lies about him because he’s just a bad dude. Shame on you, if that’s what you think.
We live in a time when the Eighth Commandment is turned on its head. May the followers of Christ stand up for truth.
Colin Kaepernick Returns to the Spotlight (or at least he tried to)
When the steam finally ran out of Colin Kaepernick’s multi-million dollar “sacrifice everything” Nike campaign, he staged an NFL tryout – who does that so late in the season? Then he suddenly changed the venue, creating drama, and when there were no NFL takers it once again “proved” that the NFL was scared of an opinionated person of color – barf.
Really, Colin Kaepernick is a marketing genius. He didn’t start his kneeling campaign until he was a washed-up backup Quarterback on a fledgling franchise. Then, suddenly, he developed a social wokeness that shot his jersey sales to #1 in the NFL. What backup QB has the top-selling jersey? Then, after he turned down several contract offers with the NFL and AAF, he and close friend/SJW Eric Reid filed collusion – there’s that word again – lawsuits against the NFL stating that the NFL had blackballed them. The fact that Eric Reid was subsequently offered and accepted an NFL contract with the Carolina Panthers did not cause either of them to drop the lawsuit.
The Left Still Doesn’t Understand Immigration
One has to ask: if America is so racist, why are racial minorities still trying to come here en masse?
Hold that thought. The single most ridiculous article I read this year said that we only like The Sound of Music because it was a story of white people immigrating.
So…if you believe that a family escaping conscription into the Nazi navy by illegally crossing a border into another country – was it illegal? – was beautiful, but families illegally crossing over a border because their country stinks and they like it better here and shouldn’t have to follow laws is not okay…then clearly you’re a racist. Get it?
By the way, our racist country is one of only a few countries in the world in which you are granted citizenship just by being born here.
We Should Let All People Vote…if They’re Democrats
The Dems have tried all of the following this year, all in an effort to land more votes:
- Eliminating the Electoral College – this would make it a strictly popular vote. Of course, they have the majority. And supposedly our current system disenfranchises voters. But removing the Electoral College would mean that all candidates would merely campaign in big cities, thus disenfranchising millions of rural Americans.
- Giving 16-year-olds the vote. Yeah, that’s a bad idea. And Dems would think so too if it weren’t for the fact that 16-year olds usually aren’t very wise and would tend to vote Democratic – shock.
- Making Washington D.C. into the 51st state. Of course, it just so happens to vote 90% Democratic. I wonder if Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez would think of a 90% Republican district as being “disenfranchised”? Hmm.
- Allowing Illegals to vote! So, in effect, we should definitely have foreign intervention in our elections…so long as they vote Democrat. Right.
- Allowing criminals to vote. Because…wait for it…they largely vote Democrat. I’m sure you are shocked.
But remember, it’s Donald Trump who threatens our democracy!
Other Stories that come to Mind:
- Hong Kong protesting – just read what LeBron James had to say, then take the opposite view.
- The U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team is captained by someone who actually hates the United States. Interesting.
- Notre Dame Cathedral burned – symbolic of Western Civilization, in more ways than one.
- Mass shootings – there were some, and of course, they were all Trump’s fault (no, seriously).
- London passed New York City in terms of murders. London has a strict gun ban, by the way.
- Muslims continue to kill people in the name of their false god, Allah; the Left continues claiming that it’s the gun’s fault…or the knife’s…or the bomb’s or anything other than the religion of the person who actually carried out the deed.
- Venezuela was listed as the fifth happiest country in the world. You read that correctly. That’s the kind of nonsense that occurs when your rating criteria centers on “equality” – such as universal healthcare. Never mind the fact that people are dumpster-diving for their daily bread and clamoring to come to America – the 27th happiest country, or something like that.
- Google and Facebook faced intense scrutiny by Congress. This is good; they need some accountability. But it remains to be seen exactly what that accountability looks like, and can it be done without opening the door to our government controlling content? I trust the government to do the responsible thing with our information far less than I trust Google or Facebook.
Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying, “Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us.” He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision.Psalm 2:1-4 (ESV)